Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Does it Take for You to Notice God?


What does it take for you to notice the Lord? When I first became a Christian, I was coasting along in life. In comparison to now, I rarely thought of God because life was going pretty good for me, for the most part. When I hit rough waters due to sin that I allowed in my life, I pretty much lost everything and God got my attention. My only source of hope was found in him and it was through him and by him that I was able to carry on. Sometimes we need to be humbled by adversity in our lives before we will turn to the Lord, but is that really the way it is supposed to be? Think about that for a minute. In Psalm 83, Asaph was praying for God to get the attention of his enemies and to make them see that He was God. “O my God, scatter them like tumbleweed, like chaff before the wind! As a fire burns a forest and as a flame sets mountains ablaze, chase them with your fierce storm; terrify them with your tempest. Utterly disgrace them until they submit to your name, O Lord. Let them be ashamed and terrified forever. Let them die in disgrace. Then they will learn that you alone are called the Lord, that you alone are the Most High, supreme over all the earth.” (13-18) So, do we really need to be brought to adversity in order for God to get our attention? Sometimes, yes. Should it really be that way? NO, but because of our stubborn sinful human nature, we often forget that God is in control and we are not. We forget that everything we have comes from God. EVERYTHING. He loves us greatly. He provides for us just what we need. He blesses us, even when we don’t deserve it. Shouldn’t we take more notice of all that he does? What does it take for you to notice God’s presence in your life?

No comments: