Saturday, February 19, 2011

No Knead Two Edit.


A gasp of air and a look of shock spread across the face of my friend and she said; “You can’t do that! You can’t yell at God!” I looked at her, smiled, and said, “I most certainly can and I did.” At this time in my life I had been knocked down and I was angry with God. I wasn’t getting my way and I was angry with God. I lost so many things in my life and I wasn’t getting anything to “replace them. I was angry with God. Of course at the time, I was completely blinded to the role that I had played in my very own misfortune. Then, it was all God’s fault. As I began to learn more about myself and about God, I also learned that God wanted me to be real with him and he wanted to be real for me. This means that when I prayed to him I would pray the unedited version of my prayers. I would tell him exactly how I feel, exactly what I was going through and exactly what I needed. I didn’t need to “sugar-coat” it and do you know why? God already knew exactly how I felt and exactly what I was going through and exactly what I needed before I even opened my mouth to speak. What is the point in editing my prayers? God wants us to be honest with him to open up and tell him what is going on. Yes, he knows it already, but this is our chance to deepen our relationship with him and to strengthen our dependence on him. In Psalm 88, the psalmist did just that. This is the only psalm I have read so far that is lacking in the hope department. The psalmist tells it how it is with no editing. “O Lord, God of my salvation, I cry out to you by day: I come to you at night. Now hear my prayer; listen to my cry. For my life is full of troubles and death draws near. I am as good as dead, like a strong man with no strength left. They have left me among the dead and lie like a corpse in the grave. I am forgotten, cut off from your care. You have thrown me into the lowest pit, into the darkest depths. Your anger weighs me down; with wave after wave you have engulfed me. You have driven my friends away by making me repulsive to them. I am in a trap with no way of escape. My eyes are blinded by my tears. Each day I beg for your help, O Lord; I lift my hands to you for mercy.” (1-9) The psalmist was real with God. He told him exactly how he felt, even though God already knew. You see God wants us to cry out to him, he wants us to be real with him even if the feelings we are feeling aren’t pretty and flowery and happy. God already knows everything! What is the point in editing what we are going through for him? Tell him exactly what you are going through. Have you been real with God or do you spend your time editing your prayers trying to make them more appealing to Him? God wants you to be honest with him. Let God know exactly what is on your heart today.

No comments: