
It really shouldn’t take much to realize that life is short. All you need to do is turn on the news and you’ll hear yet another story of someone whose life was cut short by some tragedy. You may even know someone who has lost their life at a young age. Yet, there are so many of us who are still waiting to fully surrender and commit our lives to the Lord. Why is that? To say that I know that answer to that question would be far from the truth. I have hunches, but only God knows the exact reasons behind our motives for doing everything in this life. Psalm 90 was written by Moses and in this Psalm, he compares and contrasts the lives we live to the eternity of God. We are finite beings designed by God, who is much bigger than anything else in this world. He knows each and every thing about us, and we shouldn’t be surprised about this, because he created us. We were designed by Him with a specific plan and purpose in mind. The problem most of us face in finding and following God’s plan and purpose for us, is our stubborn rebellion. We are so caught up in our own lives that we fail to see the bigger picture. For me, the biggest thing that has held me back has been fear. I have been afraid of failing, of not doing what God has planned for me to do like He has planned for me to do. In this fear, I have done nothing. I have been afraid of what other people might think, caught up in what others say I should be doing, and held in the bondage of their limitations, instead of trusting God and allowing him to stretch me and mold me into who he designed me to be. I was created with a plan and a purpose. God has something in mind for my life. Breaking free from the bondage of believing that I can’t do something merely because someone told me I couldn’t has been a pivotal moment in my life. It has allowed me to embrace the calling that I know God has placed on my life and it has enabled me to trust Him to guide my way even more than before. If I don’t try to do what God has called me to do because I am afraid of failing at it, haven’t I already failed? God’s standards of success and failure are absolutely nothing like the world’s. God is a god of second and third and fourth chances (and even more if you need it). The world is not so forgiving. If I spend my life living in fear, or bound to the expectations and limitations of others, I am not truly living for God and life is too short for that. God has a plan and a purpose for you. He created you for a reason and if you are still breathing, it is for a reason. Are you holding yourself back from following God? Are you waiting for something to happen before you are willing to trust and surrender your life to Him? What are you waiting for? Life is short. That’s the bottom line. In the end, only what you have done for the Lord and in his name will matter. “Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom” (12)
No comments:
Post a Comment