Tuesday, March 8, 2011

God is Faithful


It is difficult to trust people in a world full of disappointments. I used to place so much stock in other people only to find myself being disappointed and let down time and time again. It was difficult for me to understand how people could say one thing and do something entirely different. Here’s an example. My friend and I had made plans to go away to her family’s cabin one weekend. I was packed and on my way to meet her at her house when I received a call from her stating that she had some errands she needed to run and she would call me when she was finished. Ok, I thought, I can wait for that, even though I was already 5 minutes from her house. Well, the minutes went by and then hours and still no call. I called her, but she didn’t answer. She didn’t return my calls; in fact she never called me back. Not even the next day. I was upset and angry and incredibly disappointed. I was looking forward to this trip for months and then this happened? I couldn’t believe it. I’m sure there are many of you who have been disappointed at one point or another by someone in your life. They have let you down and maybe even upset you or made you angry. It is difficult to trust people who constantly disappoint you in one way or another. It really is. Here is something I learned. Pay close attention. Every person in your life, it doesn’t matter who they are, or what kind of relationship you have with them, every person will disappoint you at some point. Doesn’t sound very encouraging, does it? I had to remind myself that no one on this earth is perfect. We all make mistakes. We all disappoint people. Sometimes we just can’t help it. God is totally different that anyone you could possibly know. God is faithful. When you call on his name, he hears you. He shows up all the time, in fact, he is typically waiting for us to show up and meet with him. In psalm 99, the psalmist speaks of God’s faithfulness. “Moses and Aaron were among his priests; Samuel also called on his name. They cried to the Lord for help, and he answered them.” (6) God is in the business of faithfulness. He is always there for us when we need him. Sometimes we may feel like God has disappointed us because we didn’t get our prayer answered the way we wanted it to be answered, but realize this; God’s ways are higher than ours. His plans are better than ours. He answers our prayers in the way that is best for us. We can only see this fleeting moment, but God can see all of eternity. He knows what is best for us. Here’s one final note, and it’s a big one. You can never disappoint God. Let me repeat it again. You can NEVER disappoint God. The only way you can do something to disappoint him is if you did something he didn’t expect and since God is all-knowing and ever present, well that is impossible folks. If you have people in your life that you are holding a grudge against because they disappointed you, forgive them. If you have disappointed people, then perhaps it is time you asked them to forgive you.

No comments: