“Remember your promise to me; it is my only hope. Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. The proud hold me in utter contempt, but I do not turn away from your instructions. I meditate on your age-old regulations; O Lord, they comfort me. I become furious with the wicked, because they reject your instructions. Your decrees have been the theme of my songs wherever I have lived. I reflect at night on who you are, O Lord; therefore, I obey your instructions. This is how I spend my life: obeying your commandments.” (Psalm 119:49-56)
Almost four years ago, I lost my job. Not due to the economy, but instead due to my own irresponsibility. One minute I was ready to work and the next minute I was being asked to grab my things and leave. It was devastating and I was angry, not initially with myself, but with God. During the nearly 6 month time period that I was without a full time job, I had a lot of time to think about the events that transpired. It was during this time and the years of financial stress that would follow, that I learned to lean hard on Jesus. It didn’t happen immediately, but instead, it was a process. I was slowly learning that God was in control no matter what my circumstances. I also learned to take responsibility for my part in losing my job. Let me tell you, that was hard. I also learned that God in all his infinite wisdom and sovereignty had a plan in the midst of the difficulty I was going through. My work environment prior to me losing my job was extremely toxic. I never had a job before at which I would cry just about every time I worked, at the hands of my boss who didn’t like me and who made it obvious to everyone in the department. While I don’t know this for sure, and I probably never will, perhaps, it was God rescuing me from that situation when I was removed from that toxic environment. One of the things that helped me get through the last four years, which have in no way been easy, was His Word. The promises that I knew God had made and were true gave me hope in my desperation, discouragement, and my depression. I found myself drawn to the book of Psalms and as I read and discovered what was in there, I found encouragement for my weary soul. I found truth and I found life. In the middle of difficult circumstances, it can be extremely hard to turn our focus on the one who is Sovereign and in control of everything, but God has provided His Word for us to offer us encouragement, and to expose us in the light of his love and wisdom. When I had his Word to focus on I could get away from the lies that Satan was telling me about myself, about others, about God, and about my circumstances. I had a powerful weapon at my disposal! This is why it is extremely important to arm yourself with the Word of God. When you don’t, you risk your life. That might sound odd, but you do! Without the Word of God to encourage me, I could have spiraled out of control even more so than I felt like I already had. I could have been lead so far away from God by my anger and bitterness that it would have been difficult to come back. Now, I will tell you that I did lose part of my life in this process. God used this time to open my eyes to the fact that I wasn’t really dependent on him and that I didn’t really have a true relationship with him. Sure I had salvation, but that was about all I acknowledged. I have grown immensely in my relationship with the Lord over the last four years. I also know Him much better than I did way back in December of 2007, when my world was flipped upside down. I am so thankful for the fact that I am not who I was back then. My life has been changed by the power of a loving God and the power of His Word. What about yours?
“Father God, I praise your holy name and I thank you greatly for your Word. I thank you for its power to encourage, enlighten, and lead me on the path that you have set out for me. Father God, help me to have an unquenchable desire for your Word, so that I may know you and live my life in the light of your truth and love and out of the darkness. In Jesus most precious name I pray, Amen.”
Almost four years ago, I lost my job. Not due to the economy, but instead due to my own irresponsibility. One minute I was ready to work and the next minute I was being asked to grab my things and leave. It was devastating and I was angry, not initially with myself, but with God. During the nearly 6 month time period that I was without a full time job, I had a lot of time to think about the events that transpired. It was during this time and the years of financial stress that would follow, that I learned to lean hard on Jesus. It didn’t happen immediately, but instead, it was a process. I was slowly learning that God was in control no matter what my circumstances. I also learned to take responsibility for my part in losing my job. Let me tell you, that was hard. I also learned that God in all his infinite wisdom and sovereignty had a plan in the midst of the difficulty I was going through. My work environment prior to me losing my job was extremely toxic. I never had a job before at which I would cry just about every time I worked, at the hands of my boss who didn’t like me and who made it obvious to everyone in the department. While I don’t know this for sure, and I probably never will, perhaps, it was God rescuing me from that situation when I was removed from that toxic environment. One of the things that helped me get through the last four years, which have in no way been easy, was His Word. The promises that I knew God had made and were true gave me hope in my desperation, discouragement, and my depression. I found myself drawn to the book of Psalms and as I read and discovered what was in there, I found encouragement for my weary soul. I found truth and I found life. In the middle of difficult circumstances, it can be extremely hard to turn our focus on the one who is Sovereign and in control of everything, but God has provided His Word for us to offer us encouragement, and to expose us in the light of his love and wisdom. When I had his Word to focus on I could get away from the lies that Satan was telling me about myself, about others, about God, and about my circumstances. I had a powerful weapon at my disposal! This is why it is extremely important to arm yourself with the Word of God. When you don’t, you risk your life. That might sound odd, but you do! Without the Word of God to encourage me, I could have spiraled out of control even more so than I felt like I already had. I could have been lead so far away from God by my anger and bitterness that it would have been difficult to come back. Now, I will tell you that I did lose part of my life in this process. God used this time to open my eyes to the fact that I wasn’t really dependent on him and that I didn’t really have a true relationship with him. Sure I had salvation, but that was about all I acknowledged. I have grown immensely in my relationship with the Lord over the last four years. I also know Him much better than I did way back in December of 2007, when my world was flipped upside down. I am so thankful for the fact that I am not who I was back then. My life has been changed by the power of a loving God and the power of His Word. What about yours?
“Father God, I praise your holy name and I thank you greatly for your Word. I thank you for its power to encourage, enlighten, and lead me on the path that you have set out for me. Father God, help me to have an unquenchable desire for your Word, so that I may know you and live my life in the light of your truth and love and out of the darkness. In Jesus most precious name I pray, Amen.”
No comments:
Post a Comment