Friday, May 20, 2011

Choosing Light and Truth



“I lie in the dust; revive me by your word. I told you my plans, and you answered. Now teach me your decrees. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds. I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word. Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. I cling to your laws. Lord, don’t let me be put to shame! I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding.” (Psalm 119:25-32)

Can you think of something you can’t live without? When I think about that, the first things that come to mind are breath, water, and food. Without those things, we literally cannot live. God’s Word is very much like those things. It is both life giving and life sustaining. It can revive and restore life had been previously dead because of sin. It provides encouragement and wisdom to help us along in life. Without it, we will stumble and fall, floundering our way through life and only partially living our lives. The Word of God allows us to live life well and because of the Word, we have the ability to shine the light on the darkness. We can walk in light of the truth that is found within the Word. The Word of God is truth and that truth is revealed through reading and meditating on the Word. God reveals things about himself, about our circumstances and about us through his Word. If we are not reading and meditating on the Word, we are allowing ourselves to live in bondage and we are allowing ourselves to walk in darkness, when we have the truth and the light right in front of us. What a privilege it is to have it! Just like following God is a choice that no one can make for you but yourself, reading the Word is very much the same. No one can make you read the Word and I mean really read it and meditate on it. This is a choice that you have to make on your own. No one is going to do it for you. You have to decide whether or not you want to continue to walk in darkness and stay in bondage to all the lies you have heard, or if you want to walk in the light and the truth that is revealed only in the Word of God through reading, studying, and meditating on it. Which do you choose?

“Father God, thank you for the blessing that is your Word. Today I am choosing to walk in the light and in the truth of your word, laying aside the path of darkness and lies I am accustomed to. I choose to read and meditate on your Word, so that your will and your path for my life will be revealed and so I will be encouraged and gain wisdom to follow You and live my life for Your glory. Help me to hide your Word in my heart so that I may not sin against You and so that I may follow you in victory all my days. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.”

No comments: