Wednesday, January 26, 2011

He is My Portion Forever


“It’s just not fair. I do everything I am supposed to do and yet, I still don’t get what I want in life, what I desire. Look at them. Do they don’t even know who God is and they have everything I want. It’s just not fair.” Do those words sound familiar to anyone else or is it just me? I’ve been guilty of thinking them and even saying them on more than one occasion. I’ve been guilty of being envious of people who are married, have children, and are successful in a career, on several occasions too. I’ve had the attitude of, “I want what I want and if I don’t get it, then I’m not happy”, then again, haven’t we all at some point in our lives? To be honest, sometimes I have teetered dangerously close on the edge of being extremely prideful, thinking that I was better than others and deserved better than others. If you are really honest with yourself, you have most likely ventured out to that very same edge at times in your life. It’s hard to see people who are dishonest, rude, and just plain evil, prosper while people who are seeking after God, treat others with respect, and are trying to make a difference in the world suffer. This is something Asaph, the psalmist, wrote about in Psalm 73. “For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for!... Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.” (3-7, 13-14) What the psalmist realized and what I realized is that not only was I harboring bitterness in my heart, but I have absolutely no right to be questioning God as to why he has chosen to give things to some people and not to others. I am not God and neither are you. “Then I realized that my heart was bitter and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant – I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.” (21-22) While I may not have everything I want in life, I do have everything I need. Recognizing God’s presence in my life and his hand on my life and allowing him to have control over my life has given me more freedom and peace than I could have ever imagined possible. All the other stuff I wanted eventually passes away, but God remains the same forever. Even when I am ridiculous, and foolish, God is still there with me. When I make a mistake, God is still there. When I am successful at being faithful to Him, He is there too. He is always there guiding me in the direction and on the path in which he has purposely designed just for me. He really is all I need. The Psalmist realized this too. “Yet, I still belong to You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven, but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever” (23-26) The NIV translation says that “he is my portion forever”. To say that something is your portion means that it is enough; or it is all that you need. Think about the answers to these questions: Is God enough for you? Is he really all that you need?

No comments: