
Those who trust in the Lord are as secure as Mount Zion;
they will not be defeated but will endure forever.
Just as the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people, both now and forever.
(Psalm 125:1-2)
they will not be defeated but will endure forever.
Just as the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people, both now and forever.
(Psalm 125:1-2)
I absolutely love mountains. They are one of my favorite things in all of creation. They take my breath away and immediately propel me in to worship and gratitude towards their creator, God. They are massive and cannot be moved by any human means. They are rugged and steep, not easy to maneuver over. One one of my visits to Montana, I had the opportunity to climb up Mt. Sentinel, which is behind the University of Montana in Missoula. It was rocky (cause it is part of the Rocky Mountains), it was steep, and the uphill hike literally took my breath away, but the view was worth it. My love for mountains is probably why I am drawn to Montana, and probably why I would love to live there someday. People were drawn to Jerusalem, especially the Israelites. The mountains that surrounded them were not much different from the mountains that surround much of Montana. I love the illustration that the psalmist uses in this passage, to describe the presence and protection of God. The mountains of Jerusalem provided protection for all the inhabitants. God's protection surrounds us like the often times steep, immovable, dangerous to climb, mountains. Think about that for a moment. How wonderfully that speaks to the greatness of God's protection over his children! The psalmist also says, those who trust in the Lord, are immovable, unshakable, planted firm, and anchored in the promises and truth of who God is, much like a mountain. I don't know about you, but for me, that provides some hope in this dark world! Trusting in the Lord in all of our circumstances allows for us to stand firm, and not be shaken by the stuff the world and the enemy throws our way. If God is for us, who can be against us, no one. With God on our side, nothing else stands a chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment