Perfectionism. Yes, I’ve definitely written about it before and perhaps, I am writing about it about it again so I can get it just right. No, really, I’m not. I came to this realization a few years ago that there is absolutely no way possible that I can ever be perfect. No way whatsoever. It’s true. Boy did that ever take a load off! Here I was trying to do everything perfectly, and if anything or anyone got in my way I became angry. Some of you know what I am talking about. I tried really hard to make sure everything happen according to my plans. I became protective of my plans and anything or anyone that messed with them became enemy number one. No one messed with my plans and no one interfered with what I wanted to get done. I became angry when someone interrupted me when I was writing a paper, or playing my guitar, or pretty much doing anything. I also stopped doing things I didn’t think I could do perfectly. I stopped playing the guitar. I stopped trying new things. I didn’t pursue anything I thought I would fail at. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Does it sound familiar to any of you? I realized that I was wasting my time trying to be perfect and I was spending quite a bit of time being angry at too many people for no reason. I can’t be perfect. You can’t be perfect. It isn’t possible to be perfect unless your name is Jesus Christ and Mary is your Mother and God is your Father… just sayin’ Jesus Christ is the only person to ever walk this earth that has ever and will ever be perfect. Breathe a sigh of relief on that one! I did! Whooooosh! (That was me breathing a sigh of relief, just in case I lost you) The Bible says that all have sinned and fall short of God’s glorious standards. (Romans 3:23) That means everyone; you and I have both fallen short of God’s standards. We have sinned. In Psalm 53, David says, “But no, all have turned away; all have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single one!” (3) This verse is also repeated in Romans 3:10. Not a single person does any good on their own. No one is perfect. You know what really kills me, when people who are Christians hold up other Christians as “perfect”. We place Pastors, Worship Leaders, and other Christians we see as “perfect” on a pedestal aiming for the perfection we see in them and when they fail to live the perfect lives we “think” they live, we are often judgmental and unloving towards them when they need the love of Christ the most. Have you seen this? I have. Even Pastors make mistakes. Everyone falls short of God’s standards. No one is exempt, except for Christ Himself. I have made mistakes. I have sinned. I am not perfect. I don’t live like I am. I still make mistakes. I still sin. I am not perfect, but God loves me exactly as I am. He loves you too, imperfections and all.
What is Lectio Divina?
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment