
Have you ever been overwhelmed? To be overwhelmed by something can also be likened to being completely submerged by it. Almost as if you are drowning. When something completely consumes or overpowers your thoughts, and your feelings. It is hard to think of anything else. Have you ever been felt this way? In Psalm 55, David says, “Listen to my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help! Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles” (1) Can you identify with David? I know I can. There have been many times in my life that I have been completely overwhelmed by my circumstances. I even felt as if I was drowning in the chaos of one problem after another and I wondered when it was going to end. Some of you may know what I am talking about. David is once again overwhelmed by those who are against him, but in this Psalm he is not speaking of yet another enemy, he is speaking of an equal, a friend. “It is not an enemy who taunts me – I could bear that. It is not my foes who so arrogantly insult me – I could have hidden from them. Instead, it is you – my equal, my companion and close friend.” (12-13). Have you ever heard someone say, “It’s often those we are the closest to that hurt us the most.” Often when we are hurt by someone close to us, it can definitely occupy and consume our thoughts and feelings. When we are betrayed, and hurt by someone close to us, it hurts deeply, and it often takes a while to heal from that wound. David was certainly overwhelmed by the betrayal of a friend. He was wounded and hurt. Was there something else going on at the same time? Possibly. David could have felt as if he were drowning in all of this chaos, but he was confident in one thing, God. David’s strong confidence in God’s promises and saving power helped him to keep going through the storm. It have him strength and hope he needed to press on. “But I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me. Morning, noon, and night I cry out in my distress and the Lord hears my voice. He ransoms me and keeps me safe from the battle waged against me, though many still oppose me” (16-18). When I have felt overwhelmed I will admit that I have not turned to God first. While I never really want God to be a last resort, sometimes, that is how I treat him. It shouldn’t be that way. God should be my first resort. He should be your first resort. I admit I often choose to try to handle things on my own before I choose to turn them over into God’s hands. Do I really think I can do a better job? No. How many of you handle things the same way? The truth is that God should be who we turn to first in all things – the good and the bad. He should be the leader in all of our major decisions. He is always ready and willing to listen to us – morning, noon, and night. He is always there for us. He loves us and promises to take care of us. Why don’t we let him? “Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall” (22)
No comments:
Post a Comment