Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Give Us Clean Hearts


Isn’t interesting how the people we spend time with largely changes over time? I remember saying in high school that I was going to be friends, with the group of friends I had, forever. Well, here it is 10 years later… GASP! And I don’t really even talk to any of them, let alone spend time with them. The group of friends I spend time with today is a direct reflection on how my life has changed since the days of high school. Rather than following my own sinful desires, which quite frankly is what I did in high school, now have a relationship with Christ and those things aren’t of much interest to me. My pattern of life has changed and so has my character. Therefore, those I spend time with have changed based on how I have chosen to live my life. I love spending time with my friends. I don’t think there is a single one of us that doesn’t. I certainly hope my friends enjoy spending time with me. =) Did you know that God desires to spend time, or fellowship with us? He desires to spend time with us in all aspects of our lives. We were created so that we could fellowship with God through worship, prayer, and reading his Word. God has given us the ability to do all these things, but he also desires that our hearts be in the right place when we do these things. God cannot look upon sin, so if we try to come into his presence with sin in our hearts, we will not be able to. He desires for us to come to him confessing any sin that we may have in our hearts, so that we can then come into his presence and truly worship him as he deserves. This is the whole point of Psalm 15. David tells us who can come into the presence of God and who can fellowship with him.


"Who may worship in your sanctuary, Lord? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill?Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts.Those who refuse to gossip or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends.Those who despise flagrant sinners, and honor the faithful followers of the Lord, and keep their promises even when it hurts.Those who lend money without charging interest, and who cannot be bribed to lie about the innocent. Such people will stand firm forever."


David mentions this again in Psalm 24 in verses 3-6;

"Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place?Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies.They will receive the Lord’s blessing and have a right relationship with God their savior. Such people may seek you and worship in your presence, O God of Jacob."


God desires fellowship with us, but our hearts need to be in the right place first. Take some time today and ask the Lord if there is anything standing in the way of your fellowship with him.

No comments: