Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Our Healer

He heals the brokenhearted
and bandages their wounds.

(Psalm 147:3 NLT)

Emotional wounds, those that are deep and unable to be touched by human hands, are the wounds I immediately think about when reading this passage. Wounds that cut deep from words that were carelessly spoken can only be healed by the illumination of truth and the expelling of lies. I've heard many words throughout my life that I believed as truth because I heard them so much. For many years they affected everything I did, any relationships I had, and what I thought of myself. Maybe you've heard some of them too. "You're not smart enough." "You're stupid." You can't do anything right." "You'll never amount to anything." "You're worthless." "You're not thin enough." "You, don't need that cake. Why don't you go for a bike ride instead." "You're not pretty enough." "You're a failure." Any of those sound familiar? Perhaps you didn't have those exact words spoken over you, but instead the very things people did to you made you think those things about yourself. "If I were _________ then I wouldn't have this problem. Folks, all of these are lies and I can tell you from my own personal experience that you cannot let them rule your life and your decisions. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Listening to and buying into those lies is not living and abundant life. It's living in defeat. Wouldn't you rather live in victory? Over the past few years, I have chosen to break the chains of these lies and allow the truth to come flowing in. It has radically changed the way I view everything. The Word of God is more than powerful enough to shed light onto the truth and dispel the lies in your life too. If you are struggling with any of these lies, here is the truth. You are loved greatly. (John 3:16-17; Romans 5:8; 1 John 4) You are cherished. (Deuteronomy 7:6; Isaiah 43:1) You are a beautiful creation (Psalm 139) You are God's masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10) Take some time to digest these truths and allow the Word of God and the Holy Spirit to transform you. Keep reading the Word of God it is full of truth and it will fill your life with light, casting away the lies and the darkness. Hold onto the truth tightly and never let it go.

No comments: