Thursday, October 13, 2011

Listen Carefully

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

(Psalm 139:23-24 NLT)

When is the last time you took a spiritual inventory? What do I mean by that? Well, when is the last time you asked God to point out to you the things in your life that were not pleasing or honoring to him? When is the last time you listened to God when he told you what you were doing is not right? God gave us his son Jesus, to pay the penalty for our sins and to provide for us a way back to the Father. Jesus Christ left with us his helper the Holy Spirit, so that we would have guidance in this world. The Holy Spirit convicts us of things we are doing that are not right. He shows us the things in our lives that are not honoring or pleasing to God. He shows us the things that so easily trip us up and cause us to fall. When was the last time you paid attention to his gentle correction? When was the last time you followed his leading? A few weeks ago at church, a young lady sat next to me. I had seen her a couple times, but I had never spoken to her. (shame on me) Right after the service, she introduced herself and asked me if I was new to the church. (she had been attending for a month) Then she asked me "Have you been a Christian all your life?" and said "I am a new at this, but I really want to walk the walk." Immediately, I felt a prompting from the Holy Spirit to talk to her. I mentioned that I had not been a Christian all my life and that I had not grown up in a Christian home. I knew that the little bit of time we actually had at the end of the service would not be enough to continue this conversation. I felt the nudge to give her my phone number, so I did. Next week we are meeting together to finish the conversation we started weeks ago. When I wasn't at church this past week, she checked on me, hoping that I was ok. I am excited to see what God has in store for our meeting next week. He has a reason for everything. Recently, God has really been showing me how anger has effected my life. He is slowly opening doors in my heart for me to follow him through - all in the name of sanctification and purification. Now, I can choose to listen and follow him through that door, or I can slam that door shut and barricade it. I will tell you that as scary as it may be, I am choosing to walk through each door he opens, for I know that he will be with me the whole time. The same is true for you. What doors do you need to walk through? Do you know that he will walk through them with you? What people in your life is God leading you to? Do you know that he will be with you? What things in your life is God showing you that need to go? Do you know that God is enough? Pray. Ask. Seek. Knock. The doors will be opened for you. Listen carefully to the still small voice of the Lord. He is whispering to you right now, can you hear him?

No comments: