Wednesday, November 17, 2010

You Are the Light of the World


One of my favorite authors of all time is C.S. Lewis. His insightful and poignant way of writing and explaining his point of view on God and living the Christian life has been impactful on my life. My favorite quote by C.S. Lewis continues to inspire me each time I read it. “I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen. Not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”


In my own personal relationship God, I have found that the more I learn about him, the more things in my life are illuminated and the more clearly I see his plans for my life. It’s as if a veil is removed and I can see things for what they really are. It’s in knowing him that I find out who I really am and who I am meant to be. In this life, Christians are meant to be a light in a dark and dying world. We are meant to help those who are lost find their way back to God and into a right relationship with him. I think David understood the very same point that C.S. Lewis was trying to make. As I was reading Psalm 36, verse 9 really struck me. It says, “For you are the fountain of life, the light be which we see.” God is life. God is the light in the darkness. Everything comes from him. Jesus Christ illuminated many things, especially for the disciples, when he walked this earth. He exposed the lies that many had believed and he was willing to lead them to the truth. We need to be willing to lead others to the truth as well, giving them the light they need to illuminate this dark world and enabling them to find their way. Life is found in the light. Hope is found in the light. Truth is found in the light. Jesus Christ is the light. The Word of God is the light. We can be the light bringing hope, and truth, and love and even life into this dark world. It is what we are meant to do. This is the point I think C.S. Lewis was making. The world is much brighter when illuminated by the truth.


“You are the light of the world – like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your Heavenly Father” (Matt 5:14-16)

2 comments:

Irmgarde said...

I believe the light imagery is some of the strongest in scripture and is there for a reason: to give us greater understanding. And still, we take the "light" for granted.

Jessica said...

I totally agree with you Irm. I love that passage in Matthew for that very reason. It is a great reminder of how we are supposed to live our lives as followers of Christ.