Thursday, November 18, 2010

Walking With God


Flying on an airplane is not one of my favorite things to do. It makes me nervous. I get anxious. I don’t know why. Maybe it is because I also suffer from motion sickness. I guess the thought of getting sick on an airplane doesn’t exactly sound like fun to me. Or, maybe, it has something to do with being in the close proximity of so many random and strange people I don’t know. That makes me nervous when I am not even on a plane. Perhaps it is even because I know we are so incredibly high in the air. I don’t usually have a problem during take-off, typically, my nervousness increases as the plane begins to get closer to the ground. My anxiety level seriously increases during this time. These times of anxiety can be crippling, if I let them be, but I have chosen not to let them have that control over my life.


One thing that is the biggest help to me is a song that I sing quietly to myself every time I start to feel anxious in any situation. When I feel the anxiety coming on I start to sing, “Oh, God you are my God, and I will ever praise you. Oh, God you are my God and I will ever praise you. I will seek you in the morning and I will learn to walk in your ways and step by step you’ll lead me and I will follow you all of my days.” I usually sing this over and over until I can feel the anxiety subside. It might seem silly, but not only does this work for me; it also reminds me that God is in control of that situation. It also reminds me that step by step each day, God leads me.


This is what David is saying in Psalm 37. “The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every single detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall for the Lord holds them by the hand.” (23) I find great comfort in this verse. What encouraging truth is found here! God directs each and every one of our steps and he does so with such great care. He enjoys each and every detail of our lives. He delights in them. He is with us every step of the way to enjoy the journey with us. How do I know this? The Bible is full of passages that say that God is with us. He is near us. If you take a look at the end of this passage, it says that the Lord holds us by the hand. Wouldn’t that mean that he is walking WITH us? I can find great comfort in that! It is so comforting to know that my awesome God is right with me, holding my hand and walking with me each step of each day. He directs each one of my steps and leads me on the path that he has provided and created just for me. He does the same for you! It makes me want to intentionally go for a walk with Abba every day! Knowing that he is walking with me hand in hand each step of the way gives me such peace and strength. When is the last time you went for a walk with Abba Father?

No comments: